The mythology of the Internet age is filled with stories of successful companies developing in the basements of suburban households across the planet. Such is the case with CryptoLogic that began life as a general Internet security venture started by Toronto brothers Andrew and Mark Rivkin in 1994 while they were still enjoying their mother’s cooking.
The Rivkins called their start-up InterCasino and they became one of the first developers of online casino software, which was legalised first in Antigua and Barbuda. Their first casino went live in 1996 and they were the first to give the public multi-player games in 1998. Soon they were calling themselves CryptoLogic and their client list sparkled with some of the biggest players in the online gaming industry.
The Rivkins cashed in their CryptoLogic chips in 2002 and moved on to other ventures and the polo field. The next year the company went public with a listing on the London Stock Exchange with over 200 Internet wagering games in its portfolio. When online gambling was declared public enemy number one in the United States and eliminated in 2006 CryptoLogic was almost ushered to the high-tech graveyard. After stumbling for years the business and brand were acquired by Amaya Gaming.
CryptoLogic Casino Games
As a pioneering video slots developer CryptoLogic developed a clean user-friendly screen presence. CryptoLogic also was one of the first software developers to hook up with branded content suppliers. Most notable was a collaboration with Marvel Comics and its stable of superheroes such as Spider-Man and the League of Justice. The profitable arrangement skidded to an end when the Disney Company purchased Marvel.
With its long history of game development there is not a theme CryptoLogic has not explored. It has scored with hit movies like Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, King Kong and Forrest Gump. It has gone to the corner pub with Lucky Lager. It has referenced the classics with 20,000 Leagues. It has explored the possibilities of aliens on earth with Area 21. It has visited the Nile with Treasure of Isis and Cleo Queen of Egypt. It has transported players to the hottest deserts on earth with Armadillo Artie and Chilli Gold. It has set sail to the seven seas with Dolphin King and Shark Bite. It has gone deep in the jungle with Golden Jaguar. It has hit the casino with Just Vegas and Millionaires Club. It has anthropomorphizing animals for Barnyard Boogie and Penguins in Paradise.
CryptoLogic’s catalogue is stuffed with a wide array of table games:
- Baccarat – Its Baccarat follows standard rules and uses eight decks of cards.
- Blackjack – It offers seven games of blackjack; all shuffle cards after every hand and allow doubling down after any two initial cards. Four coloured aces win the progressive blackjack jackpot.
- Casino War – Casino War is dealt through six decks with surrender options.
- Craps – Cryptologic online craps mimic the rules encountered in land-based casinos although buy and lay bets are not available.
- Caribbean Stud Poker – Caribbean Stud Poker plays like the casino game with side bets but a royal flush pays off to the tune of 200-1 rather than the familiar 100-1 in the casino.
- Let It Ride – Seasoned card players will recognise the CryptoLogic version of Let It Ride with the added benefit of a one-unit side bet.
- Pai Gow Poker – Pai Gow Poker sets up the player and the banker in the same way as standard casinos.
- Pontoon – The CryptoLogic version of Pontoon is dealt from eight decks and the dealer is required to hit on a soft 17.
- Red Dog – Red Dog is played from a single deck with the standard house edge of 3.16 percent.
- Roulette – It is player’s choice for roulette online with CryptoLogic: American and European versions are both available.
- Scratchcards – CryptoLogic offers High Fashion and Money Farm scratch cards.
- Sic Bo – Sic Bo, the ancient Chinese gambling dice game, is offered in two versions with a looser pay table and higher minimum bet for the VIP game.
- Solitaire – For solitaire CryptoLogic turns to the common Klondike version with opportunities to play one-card draw or three-card draw.
- Other Card Games – CryptoLogic adheres to the Vegas rules for Texas Hold ‘Em Bonus, Three Card Poker and Vegas Three Card Rummy.